Dear NMC Community,
Let’s face it, we are not exactly where we had hoped we would be at this time. This crazy, unpredictable pandemic has certainly kept us on our toes and unfortunately in our homes way more than we wanted. Even though we all continue to face tremendous challenges due to COVID-19, we remain very optimistic that camp will still happen this summer. With this in mind, preparations for camp continue in earnest as we keep our eye on the prize of opening NMC in August.
We had hoped to receive specific guidelines for operating camp by now but unfortunately, we are still waiting but anticipate having them later this month. We are, however, predicting several aspects of these requirements and have already begun making necessary adjustments to our site, daily protocols and program. Based on many discussions with medical and camp experts, the following changes are being implemented for this summer at NMC (based on current information and subject to change):
Changes to NMC Program Options:
- Junior and Senior Division will be combined into one week of camp. The new dates for camp will be Sunday, August 22nd to Sunday, August 29th. We need to establish a camp bubble to further protect all participants. The two programs will be housed separately in main camp and the grove. This will unfortunately limit space for each program and campers will be accepted on a first come first served basis.
- The following programs will not be offered this year: Drumline and Fiddle
- Some programs from each division may combine based on camper numbers (e.g. Ukulele, Musical Theatre, JJ + Jazz, Guitar)
- We understand that due to the change of dates for camp, it might no longer fit into your summer schedule. Therefore, we are offering a 100% refund for any cancellations up to May 14th, 2021. After that date, our regular cancellation policy will apply. If the government does not allow us to operate this summer or we decide to cancel camp, we will issue a 100% refund for all fees paid for the 2021 NMC season.
COVID Modifications During Camp:
- Rehearsals will take place primarily outdoors. We have purchased several large event tents to accommodate the different large and ensemble groups.
- The daily schedule will be modified to stagger both rehearsal and “rec” time to accommodate all campers in all programs and provide the full experience for everyone.
- Our camper cabins are ideally suited to meet all health guidelines with spaced out bunkbeds, washrooms and showers and excellent ventilation. We are increasing the airflow by adding heavy duty screen doors to every camper cabin.
- Campers must receive a negative PCR COVID-19 test within 72 hours of arrival at camp. We are asking that every camper practices social distancing and minimizes social activity once they complete their pre-screening test for camp.
- All campers must be dropped off at camp. We will not be offering bus service to camp, but will offer bus service from camp to Richmond Hill at the end of camp
- Concert day may be virtual this summer or modified to allow for outdoor venues and proper distancing. This decision will be finalized and conveyed prior to camp beginning.
NMC PRESENTS… THE LAST RESORT
As the situation with COVID-19 and camp evolves, we will continue to update and inform you of any modifications to our program and protocols. IF the government does not allow us to operate this summer, NMC will provide families the opportunity to enjoy camp and all of its outdoor activities in the comfort of their own cabins! Enjoy a family retreat unlike any other, right at National Music Camp. From swimming to zip-lining and playing on the waterpark to the flying trapeze, plus camp fires and special concerts, you can still experience the magic of NMC as a family this summer.
Your stay at NMC will include:
- Accommodation: Private family cabins with bunk beds for the kids and a double bed for the adults. All cabins include washrooms and showers. Each cabin will have a picnic table out front and a table indoors for games, family chill time and private indoor eating if you choose. Each cabin will have access to a fire pit.
- Meals: 3 x socially distanced meals daily, with the option of eating in the dining hall or an outdoor tent. The tuck shop will also be open!
- Activities: All “rec” activities will be open and offered on a schedule throughout the day. Our amazing programming team will be on site to offer unique, fun and exciting NMC family programming all day plus awesome evening programs.
- Music: A variety of workshops and special concerts will be offered during your fabulous family retreat at camp.
“The Last Resort” is just that and will only be offered IF we are not able to offer the regular (although modified) NMC program this summer. A further update on specific dates and pricing will be sent in the coming weeks when we have more clarity on the decision about camps from the government.
No matter what happens, we are committed to being together this summer and greatly appreciate your support and understanding during these trying and uncertain times. Stay safe and healthy!
The National Music Camp Director Team