In 1965, Harold Nashman (Director of Camp Wahanowin) and Bob Head (High School music teacher), met and discovered they shared a passion for music and camping. With only five faculty and fifty campers, National Music Camp was born. Harold and Bob’s vision has exceeded even their expectations of NMC and has set the standard of excellence in music camping in Canada. Today National Music Camp continues to thrive with outstanding faculty, fabulous facilities, creative programs and the opportunity for young musicians to flourish..
National Music Camp prides itself on the finest facilities and programming, insuring the ultimate experience for every camper in our care. Featuring:
- 10 large rehearsal halls
- 25 ensemble rehearsal spaces
- Brand new, state-of-the-art theatre/concert hall
- Scenic dining hall overlooking Lake Couchiching
- Fully-equipped health centre, with Doctor and two health care staff
- Camper cabins: built-in bunk beds, spacious, washrooms and showers, electricity
Recreational activities include*:
- Inflatable water park
- Water slide
- Stand-up paddleboards
- Ropes course
- Climbing wall
- Zip line
- Beach volleyball
- Arts & crafts
*equipment for all activities is provided
Good Food, Good Health
In addition to our directors, faculty, music and rec staff, National Music Camp has an incredible team of support staff that help form the foundation of our success.
We are our proud of our standard of excellence with food service. Red Seal Certified Chef, Roch Beaudry, has over 20 years experience in providing exceptional culinary creations. He adds his personal touch and flavour to our menus, which are planned in accordance with the Canada Food Guide. Many special diets accommodated (including vegetarian, vegan, lactose-free, gluten-free, kosher/halal).
Your child’s health is extremely important to us. That is why we go to great lengths to provide excellent health care at camp:
- Doctor on-site and on-call 24 hours per day
- Two health care staff on-site 24 hours per day
- Fully equipped health centre
- All medications stored and dispensed in our health centre
- AED on-site
- Orillia’s Soldiers Memorial Hospital just 15 minutes from camp
Safety and Security
We are committed to providing a safe and secure camping environment for all campers in our care:
- Four staff live in every camper cabin
- All waterfront staff are certified lifeguards
- Many staff are first aid and CPR certified
- 24/7 supervision
- Overnight security staff on duty
- National Music Camp (Host: Camp Wahanowin) is OCA accredited
- Risk management of site, facilities and activity areas strictly enforced
- Emergency procedures explained and practiced each session
- First aid kits located throughout camp
National Music Camp is just 90 minutes north of Toronto on beautiful Lake Couchiching. Tucked in a quiet bay, the picturesque 120 acres of NMC includes rolling countryside, spacious open fields, tall forests and sandy shores making the ideal setting for learning, fun and friendships.
Using a GPS to locate National Music Camp (Camp Wahanowin)? We suggest that you do not use a GPS device to locate the National Music Camp (Camp Wahanowin site) on Rama Road. Your GPS is handy when providing directions to Rama Road, but once you are on Rama Road please go by the street address to locate the Camp Wahanowin site – 6726 Rama Road (directly next door to YMCA Geneva Park).